From September to December 2011, I will be posting assignments for the TLDL class I am taking: EDES 501 Web2.0. Enjoy!

Saturday, October 22, 2011

New Generation of Readers - Current Events #5

I found an article in this month's (Oct 2011) edition of Teacher Librarian:

This article discusses the need for school libraries to take into account the changing needs of students due to technology. It reviews devices (laptop, iPod, Kindle), resources for the devices (ebooks, interactive books), skills (studies have shown that interactive texts increase comprehension), attitudes (students like electronic books), and approaches to teaching (are we going to teach the same as we have in the past).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dekuwa/3267474040/sizes/m/in/photostream/

The article is meaningful to me personally and professionally. I really enjoy using various devices. I am a proponent of children (my own and my students) using devices. I like having research to back up what I feel is important! This article provided me with references to studies that demonstrate the benefits of students using devices and their resources.

No comments: