From September to December 2011, I will be posting assignments for the TLDL class I am taking: EDES 501 Web2.0. Enjoy!

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

JING a-ling-ling-ling!!

This week I am playing with Jing. I started playing with it last week (check out this post and this post, at the very end) which was great because I was able to get some of the troubleshooting out of the way.  I didn't get it all out of the way though because I have already learned some new things in just the short time I've played with it this week:


- When you are making a screencast for YouTube, your perfectionist self is going to make you edit it. You are then going to have to learn another tool to be able to edit it!


Camtasia Video Editing


- If you are making a screencast with instructions, you have to go slow enough for people to follow along but not so slow that they are bored and decide to figure it out on their own. 


http://www.flickr.com/photos/lanier67/3147696168/sizes/m/in/photostream/
Screencasts are actually podcasts - Who knew??

Podcasts are audio files that are recorded on a computer and shared on the internet.  There are three types of podcasts: audio, screen and video (Berger & Trexler 2010, p.128). Berger & Trexler (2010) quote Kristin Fontichiaro as stating that podcasts make learning more interesting and that they help students to develop oral fluency, writing/speaking voice, and an ability to write for an audience (p.128). Richardson (2010) indicates that podcasts need to be published in order to be of any benefit – we need to share what we create. He gives examples of when one could use a podcast: oral histories, interviews, students narrating the process of their work, teachers recording important parts of the day for students to listen to if they are absent (p.117).


I have to admit that I am scared to share my work. 

Koval (2009) describes screencasting in the classroom as the ability to have mini-lessons on demand. Once recorded, they can be used to re-teach students what they have been taught without taking the teacher away from the other students. She also feels that a student feels less pressure when they are struggling with a concept, because no one will know how many times they have watched the screencast.

http://office.microsoft.com/en-ca/images

Fontichiaro


Richardson (2010) provides tips on how to make an effective screencast: prepare what you will show on screen, have at least an outline of a script and keep it short (p.124). Jing allows for five minute screencasts.


I am an impulsive person. I just like to start projects without any guidance. I figure that in the end, I'll learn more that way. I spent a couple of hours today making screencasts and after the forth, I realized that I should have looked at the 'big picture' BEFORE I started. My screencasts were confusing! It was no big deal though because I was able to quickly make up an outline and start making screencasts that made sense!


The many screencasts I created that I am hoping will be stepping stones to my final screencasts.


Outline

Why I chose to make screencasts:

The reason I chose to play with screencasting was because  I don't like repeating things too often. In my church, I work with some fantastic young women. They are 12-17 years old and they are FULL OF LIFE!! Back in April, I showed them how to use a website that our church created just for them. We set up user names and passwords. I walked them through the website so that they could work on it on their own. A week later, I got a phone call from one of my girls. She couldn't remember her user name or password or even how to find the website!! That is when I had the idea to make a screencast that the girls could go to when they needed help with the website. 


It just took me six months to get around to making it!


References

Berger, P., and Trexler, S. (2010). Choosing web 2.0 tools for learning and teaching in a digital world. Santa Barbara, CA: Libraries Unlimited.

Koval, A.  (2009). The 2.0 tech i can't live without.  Knowledge Quest, 37(4), 34-35. http://www.ala.org/ala/mgrps/divs/aasl/aaslpubsandjournals/knowledgequest/knowledgequest.cfm

Richardson, W. (2010). Blogs, wikis, podcasts and other powerful web tools for classrooms (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Corwin.

No comments: